Morocco follows closely developments in Gabon
RABAT- Morocco is closely following developments in the Gabonese Republic, stressed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, African Cooperation and Moroccan Expatriates on Wednesday.
"The Kingdom of Morocco stresses the importance of preserving the stability of this brotherly country and the tranquility of its people," the ministry said in a statement.
The ministry added that "Morocco trusts the wisdom of the Gabonese nation, its driving forces and its national institutions, to move forward towards a perspective that will enable it to act in the supreme interests of the country, safeguard the gains made and meet the aspirations of the brotherly Gabonese people."
Central African regional bloc ECCAS called for a rapid return to constitutional order in Gabon and condemned the use of force as a means to resolve political conflicts and gain access to power.
Nigerian President Bola Tinubu, the current chair of West African bloc ECOWAS, said on Wednesday he was working closely with other African leaders to contain what he called a "contagion of autocracy" spreading across Africa.
Senior officers in Gabon announced their coup before dawn on Wednesday, shortly after an election body declared that Bongo had comfortably won a third term after Saturday's vote.
Later on Wednesday, a video emerged of Bongo detained in his residence, asking international allies for help but apparently unaware of what was happening around him. The officers also announced that General Brice Oligui Nguema, former head of the presidential guard, had been chosen as head of state.