US sees no clear evidence Iran mined Hormuz, probes school strike

Hegseth provided an update on Iran’s new Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, saying he is “wounded and likely disfigured.”

WASHINGTON – The United States has no clear evidence that Iran has placed mines in the Strait of Hormuz, US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said on Friday, contrasting with reports earlier this week suggesting Tehran had deployed about a dozen mines in the vital shipping lane that handles a fifth of the world’s oil.

Asked about the possibility of mines in the Strait, Hegseth said: “We’ve heard them talk about it just like you’ve reported recklessly and wildly about it. But … we have no clear evidence of that.”

Hegseth’s remarks come as the US-Israel war with Iran enters its 14th day, sending oil prices hovering near $100 a barrel and stoking global concern over energy security. The Defence Secretary also warned that the United States will not allow shipping in the Strait of Hormuz to be contested by Iran.

In addition to the shipping concerns, Hegseth confirmed that the US military is conducting a thorough review of a strike on an Iranian school. “I can report that CENTCOM has designated an investigating officer to complete a command investigation,” he said, referring to US Central Command. Reuters first reported last week that an internal US military investigation indicated that US forces were likely responsible for the strike on the girls’ school in southern Iran.

“The command investigation will take as long as necessary to address all the matters surrounding this incident. And the investigating officer is from outside CENTCOM and is a general officer,” Hegseth added.

On the broader military campaign, Hegseth said the United States has a range of options to deal with Iran’s nuclear weapons, including Iran deciding to give them up. He also issued a stark warning on Tehran’s military infrastructure, stating: “All of Iran’s defense companies will be soon destroyed.”

Hegseth further provided an update on Iran’s new Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, saying he is “wounded and likely disfigured.” The comments mark one of the few public assessments of Khamenei’s condition since the start of the US-Israeli military strikes on Iran.

With oil markets under pressure and military operations intensifying, Hegseth’s briefing underscores Washington’s determination to maintain control over the Strait of Hormuz while signalling that the United States retains a full spectrum of military and strategic options against Iran.