Turkey launches probe into Istanbul shooting near Israeli consulate

The justice minister says that an investigation will be carried out into a shooting near the Israeli consulate in Istanbul during which one attacker was killed and two others were wounded in a gunfight with police.

ANKARA – Turkey’s justice minister said on Tuesday that an investigation would be carried out into a shooting near the Israeli consulate in Istanbul, adding that three prosecutors had been assigned.

One attacker was killed and two others were wounded in a gunfight with police near the Israeli consulate in Istanbul on Tuesday, the city’s governor said, adding that two police officers were slightly wounded.

The attackers used rifles and pistols in the assault, Governor Davut Gul told reporters at the scene. He added that there have been no Israeli diplomatic staff at the consulate for 2-1/2 years.

Separately, sources said no Israeli diplomats were currently stationed in Turkey, either at the consulate in Istanbul or the embassy in Ankara.