UK Athletics admits manslaughter in death of Emirati Paralympian
LONDON – UK Athletics admitted corporate manslaughter over the death of Emirati Paralympian Abdullah Hayayei, who was fatally struck by a metal pole while training at Newham Leisure Centre, East London, in July 2017. The 36-year-old had been preparing for the F34 class discus, javelin and shot put events at the World Para Athletics Championships in London when the incident occurred.
Emergency services were called to the centre following the collapse of a throwing cage, but despite the efforts of medical staff, Hayayei was pronounced dead at the scene. Scotland Yard, in conjunction with Newham Council’s health and safety team, launched a meticulous investigation which determined that the throwing cage had been incorrectly assembled, leaving it dangerously unstable.
On Friday, UK Athletics changed its plea to guilty for corporate manslaughter at the Old Bailey, having previously denied the charge. Keith Davies, 78, the head of sport for the 2017 Championships and co-defendant in the case, pleaded guilty to a related health and safety offence. The gross negligence manslaughter case against Davies will not proceed, with sentencing for both defendants scheduled for a later date.
Prosecutors argued that UK Athletics caused Hayayei’s death by supplying a discus and shot put cage “which it used and operated without its base structure and which collapsed” onto the Paralympian during his training. The investigation revealed that key stabilising metal lattice base plates, ten ladder-like connectors linking the cage’s posts and bases, had been missing or unused for around five years, leaving the structure unable to withstand wind forces or ensure the safety of athletes.
“Abdullah Hayayei was a father of five who should have been able to compete on the world stage and return home safely to his family,” said Colin Gibbs, senior specialist prosecutor with the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) Special Crime Division.
“There can be no doubt that UK Athletics were grossly negligent in their safety management, which caused the death of a talented athlete. They left equipment in a seriously unsafe condition, and Mr Hayayei’s death was wholly avoidable, a fact the organisation has admitted. For years there was a failure to inspect, maintain and properly manage basic safety components, leaving a heavy metal structure dangerously unstable,” he added.
The investigation required detailed engineering expertise to understand the sequence of events leading to the fatal collapse. Detective Sergeant Brett Hagen, who led the inquiry, noted that officers examined more than 1,500 documents, took approximately 160 statements, spoke to over 80 witnesses, and collated numerous expert reports.
Hagen added: “Cases of this nature are rare and particularly difficult to prosecute due to various complexities surrounding the legislation, so we welcome this outcome. Our thoughts are with Mr Hayayei’s family during what will be a significant moment for them.”
Hayayei, who had previously suffered severe injuries while serving in the UAE Armed Forces in 2001, had sustained permanent nerve damage from a training accident with the military. Undeterred, he continued his service and became a para-athlete, representing the UAE internationally. He achieved significant success, including a sixth-place finish in the javelin F34 and seventh in the shot put F34 at the Rio 2016 Paralympics, and strong results at the 2015 World Championships in Doha.
Paying tribute at the time of his funeral, his sister Mariam Hayayei described him as a kind, helpful and fun person who had cared for their mother after their father’s death.
“Playing sports was one of the main things that encouraged him to progress and improve, as he found passion in it, was a helping hand to all his colleagues and managed to obtain many medals and trophies,” she said.
His teammate Mohammed Al Hammadi, who won the UAE’s first medals at the 2017 World Para Athletics Championships, dedicated them to Hayayei and gave them to his children.
UK Athletics expressed deep regret over the incident in a statement: “Our deepest thoughts and sympathy remain with his family, friends, teammates and all those affected by the events of that day.”
Under the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007, the governing body faces a fine in the seven-figure range, though early admission of guilt may reduce the amount.
Analysts note that the fine will come as a significant financial blow to UK Athletics, which faced bankruptcy two years ago before securing a major events partnership and investment from sponsors.
The case stands as a stark reminder of the consequences of negligence in sports safety, highlighting the vital need for rigorous oversight and proper maintenance of equipment to protect athletes at every level.